Featured Post

The root of American racism?

Before we knew there were races in this Nation, it was a matter of economic identity which kept indentured Europeans and African slaves in...

Saturday, August 14, 2021

My Second-Best Tip From Driving, Ever!



When I lived in Tucson, AZ, I drove taxis, town cars, and limos, among other jobs. Later I owned my own landscape design/install company. The limo company I worked for did "kidnappings", and pub crawls along with regular business. One day I got a call to do a birthday party pub crawl. I prepared myself for the worst.

It was four couples. I picked up the birthday guy and his wife first. They are very nice people, and I feel somewhat relieved. We collect the others, and off we go. Well, they all had a hoot and holler of a good time, and all of them get smashed over the evening. Then it's time to go home, as it's clear that capacity has been reached, and passing out is the next stage. So I drop them off a couple at a time and arrive at the birthday guy's home.

Well, I have to help his wife walk him to the door. Okay, now you have to imagine a really really good actor doing a rubber person who can't pronounce even "a" or "I" without seriously slurring it, never mind more complex words......I wish I could do that typographically, but this is essentially what he said: "I had a great time, and you are a great driver! Thanks for keeping us safe! And helping me in...." You don't know this, but in the Summer I'm the captain of a salmon trawler in the Bering Sea. Now, next season, I'm going to come home with some big fish. I'm going to bring you a salmon". I again wish I could provide an imitation. The way he said "salmon" was priceless.

His wife nodded and said he's drunk, and I said "Thank you, that's excellent!" and left to turn in the car, which was surprisingly clean and gloriously free of human fluids. Months pass. I don't remember, but four or six at least. One day I answer the phone. I hear "Is this Anton?" I said "Yes, I'm Anton". He said "Hi! I'm John B.--you took me on a pub crawl with my wife and friends for my birthday. C'mon over--I've got your fish!" And damn if he didn't. So I shared it with some neighbors, and it was one of the best fish I'd ever had. And (by far) the second-best tip I ever got driving! It's a story I will never forget!

No comments: